Tuesday, February 23, 2016

There is a planned ride to Baguio this Holy Week - what bike to bring?I

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
February 23, 2016

There is a planned ride to Baguio again and will include Val, Gerry, Jeff, and who else.  May be me.  It is Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Maundy Saturday.  So what bike to bring.

I asked the opinion of Armin Zapanta who joined us using a road bike, and went with his MTB friends using MTB on a tour of the north.  Would it be ok to bring an MTB which I just bought.  The MTB has enough low gears to enable us to climb the steep Kennon road.

This is what he said:   it is double the effort on the flats (because of the heavier weight and friction from the large fat tires) and even more so in climbing.   Laspagan.  So it is not adviseable.

So there I go again I tore the  53 -39 crank chain ring, the 12 - 28 gears and replaced them with Deore triplet, and 11 to 36 gear set.  The gears and combination I used for the San Felipe trip.

I guess that will be the right bike to bring?  Light for the flats with 44 x 11 at about 100 gear inches, good enough to catch the halimaw on flats and 32 x 32 for 26 gear inches at the Lions head.

No comments: