Saturday, April 7, 2012

Inspect your Chains to Avoid More Troubles in your Rides

Bike and Save the Earth





I had two experiences with broken chain:

1.  On the way up km 5l, right near the post, I broke a chain, the rivet got caught in a brand new l05 derailleur, it was yanked out of the drop, the drop broke, and the frame twisted.  I had to spend more because when I was fetched, they asked for lunch costing us a thousand.

2.  On the way to Tagaytay (which I did solo not knowing the companions did not push through) I broke the chain twice at Bicutan.  Mr. Raffy Calderon was kind enough to repair the chain for me.  But I was not comfortable with the chain ever since.  I swore  I will have  the chain replaced (it is an Ultegra chain) or have it inspected by a mechanic.

I knew that when Boogie Villamayor (a pamangkin) broke his chain near Queen Mary, he fell on his right side and the chain ring dug into his calf injuring him.  So chain maintenance is a must say, replacing it every 2 years?

Holy Week gave me time to inspect chain

As I prepared the bike for tomorrows;s ride to Real, I cleaned it and focused on the chain.  I used cotton buds to remove the grit in the middle.  And lo and behold, on the bike that broke the chain, half of the chains were loose!

>To determine the loose, spray WD 40.  Those that are not loose, would not have the WD 40 oozing out;

       l.  the chain bearings on the rivet would have unusual play;

       2.  you would see visually the looseness, about l/4 mm.

>To tighten, the best tool to use is your chain tool.  Set the chain and tighten the chain (not push the rivet) by l/4 and 3/4 turn.

> AVOID CROSSING YOUR CHAINS AS RIDING 34 X 12, OR 53X 25.  consult your proper chain ratios.  Crossing the chains stresses/bends the chain and loosens it prematurely.

I guess the whole inspection made me a lot more confident. I guess the chain would last for another year?

I have been hearing a lot of crackling sound everytime, the chain is is stressed by:  sudden acceleration, and or ride up a hill.

Why dont you maintain your chain now?

                                      The chain tool


                           You can see the gap at the topmost chain;  it is loose



                          Inspect your chain now before it breaks and causes more trouble

No comments: