Saturday, April 3, 2021

Final adjustment of the Shimano XT hub?

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
4.03.2021
















I am about to buy a new  rear XT hub (BN) or buy from Lazada (but unfortunately its the front being sold) just to get over my difficulty in the rough rotation of the rear wheel.   I have spent about 2 weeks trying to figure out myself how to get this right.  

It all started when I overhauled the rear hub.  I might have missed some steps.

My problem is:   if I adjust the preload too tight, the wheel wont turn freely;   if I adjust the tighetining nut by 90%  (or quarter) then the wheel plays laterally.   

I planned to go to a super mechanic to get this right.   But before doing that:

    1.  I consulted again Google how to do the disassembly and assembly
    2.  I disassembled the hub again  -  found out:

                1.  That some of the bearings  fell off the races;
                2.   The cone at the non drive side had scores on the surface
                3.   That the bearing  cover on the drive side were not properly pressed in
                       hence the drive side cone cant be tightened well by 2 to 3 threads, and hence
                       there was no correct tightening and loosening

   3.  So I reinstalled and regreased the bearings
        Pressed the bearing cover;   regreased the non drive side;

   4.  Refitted the cones,, and followed the advice of loosening again the nut by 3 to 6 minutes

This time, the wheels spun freely even if I tightened the locking nut full.

And so I can smile again and not go to the mechanic anymore

My bike is teaching me a lot on mechanics, patience and analysis.   
        

No comments: