Thursday, April 22, 2021

Stalling or deferring upgrades (or having more bikes)- a reflection

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
4.21.2021








                                                         Nanukso pa


                                                  



Like the real virus, the upgraditis virus I submit is on the rise.  With nothing to do at homes,) being kept at bay by IATF enforcers with crooked understanding of the virus spread) one spends a lot of time looking at new products at 1.  ecommerce platform and thus becomes convinced by the marketing blitz by bike/bike parts. Mind you,  once you view their page, they follow you and flash the product ads that you browsed. thus increasing your desire and interest (the ads now being personalized and targeted)

UPGRADES ACCOMPLISHED

All ready I ordered and its in the Philippines now, a 25K net (being ordered on the platforms 10 th birthday)  a carbon fiber MTB 27.5 with all shimano parts. I also ordered bigger diameter 180 mm disc rotor for more stopping power.   I was tantalized into buying a four piston hydraulic brakeset however literature on the net and my interviews with mechanic and other younger riders say:

       1   It is more expensive
       2.  The 1 cm longer brake pad runs into thousands    A certain brand costs P2,500 each
       3    Expensive to maintain because there are 4 pistons to maintain (for each side)
       4.  Difficult to bleed
       5.  Gains in braking power is marginal

           More braking power can be achieved through bigger rotors (say 180 and 203 mm) 

But I have all ready upgrades in mind
1.   A 42 or 46 t cogs for my present bike
2.   Or upgrade to a Shimano or SRAM 11 or 12 speed   And they look temptingly affordable
3.   Another option is to buy a narrow wide Deckas or Snail chain ring 32, 34, or 36
4.   Fork upgrade with Bolany, Fox or Suntour.

But really at my age, do I need all of these:  //QUESTIONS BEFORE UPGRADING

1.   Will the upgrade make me go faster?
2.   Will teh upgrade make me stronger?
3.   Will the upgrade make me look younger or better?
4.   Will the wifey approve the purchase.

Most of the time the answer will be no. Especially no 4.  (He2 tell me you have been honest with the wifey on this)

3 years ago I assembled 2 high end road bike and did not engage in upgrade there after.  But the purchase did not make me go faster, stronger (as a matter of fact my heart rate shoots up whenever I do hill climbs) and my average speed declines.   My only Yes answer  is number 3.  

      Let us analyze

      1.  Go one by, and lighten your bike  by 1 kg -  the shifter, the FD and two chain ring.   Really  did 
           the upgrade make you go faster.  My cousin who is on one by says stay put with 3 by.   The range
           of gears is higher with a 24 or 22 teeth.   I say numerous elderly MTB riders who have two by 
           They installed a 34 or 36 as the upgrade anad retained the granny front chain ring of 24.  I have
           seen numerous rider bringing one by walking up their bikes at Teresa  (tulak)

     2.  Go 12 speed, 1 by with 11 - 52 gears.    Again that will set you back by P15 to P20K.  If you
           have extra money, then there is no problem.  But it is an issue if you are hard uup during the 
           pandemic.  Both S companies are pouring it on to sell their 11 or 12 speed 1 by set up.   Mostly
           below P20K  (see also the second hand market with a deluge of ads)   The local bike shops are
           competing with E commerce platforms  They have become cheaper (look at shrinking market
           locally and world wide.  Anyway they had their heyday)    With the cancellation of many local
           and international races, diminished income, many can ill afford to upgrade.

These two last reflection  made me wane my interest on the one by.  (Most probably I buy a Deckas 34 or 36, convert my 3 chain rings) probably buy a 11-46 cogs   

Really why do we upgrade?

WHY DO WE UPGRADE?

     I think this is both a function of marketing efforts of the bike and bike parts manufacturer and the motivation of men.    Bertrand Russel succintly says that men are motivated only by three things:
     1.  Pride
     2.  Competitiveness
     3.  Greed

     We upgrade because we want to be well known and praised because we have such pricey bikes
and new parts;  we want to look better and "lamang"to other bikers.   And we want to have more.  It is not just fmr FL who wants to have more shoes.  Every rider wants to have more bikes.    How many bikes do you have.   Most tour riders have 10 bikes.   I think most local 3 riders have 3 bikes.   

How many bikes do you have?


Uploading: 2832875 of 11802431 bytes uploaded.




No comments: