Friday, May 2, 2014

Two jeepneys scared the hell out of me during my last ride last April 30 2014; may we have safe driving practices by jeepney drivers?

Wheels of Happiness

Angono, Rizal  Philippines  |  May 2, 2014



I am reminded of a post from RBP whose mountain bike was nearly totalled by a jeepney in Metro Manila

In my bike ride last April 30, 2014 (and I am trying to suppress this scary incident, two Tanay Junction jeepneys (the blong ones with identical yellow color - same owner) scared the hell out of me.  One had plate number of CVG 450, the other CVG 479.  The 450 overtook me in Pantok, right after the traffic zone, going to Angono, with only inches to spare.  Had I turned a little bit my wheel to the left, it would have a been a great spectacle and my Fuji carbon fiber bike would have scattered to thousand pieces on the road.




The 479 stopped 5 times in front of me in the middle of the road from Pantok to Bilibiran, without turning right to the road shoulder just to load passenger.  I thought the proper place to load passenger is at the road shoulder.  If I was not alert, I and my bike would have boarded his jeepney several times.  He would put my life in danger for mere P40.00 worth of fare (5 pax x 8)  The problem with this practice is if he suddenly stops and you choose two alternative:

1,  If you turn right at the shoulder, the passenger will be moving towards your direction and he does not care if you are riding at 40 kph;  bikers beware.


2, If you turn left, anothe jeepney trying to grab passengers too would overtake your and put you on a tight squeeze play with the jeepney that just stopped.  And sometimes you have no choice but to brake very hard.

Let us all be very careful and alert fellow bikers/kapadyak.  First and foremost we are responsible for our safety and well being:  the policeman,LTO, the mayor the traffic enforcer, PNOy would not care less if you figure in an accident with some uneducated jeepney driver (that is why he is just a jeepney driver)  But on the other hand....(We do not want Pio de Roda to be our enemy or other TODA)

We need safe and responsible drivers/driving.

God bless our ride always

          I had close encounter with this FX once; he overtook me while I was turning left;  I am regular commuter in his unit

No comments: