Sunday, January 27, 2013

What is in my mind, how did I feel as climbed Baguio for the 3rd time?

Biking and health

 Baguio City, January 26, 2013



One of our fellow bikers, a veteran of 4 climbs, quit today at Camp 6.  Baguio City is just but 8 km away.   He looked pale and tried to motivate him:  shamed him, appealed to his sense of past achievement.  He said he felt differently;  he was not very prepared.  He felt something else:  dizzy etc.  I advised him to eat bibingka (sweet rice cakes courtesy of Joel who had birthday yesterday).  Well he said enough is enough.  Richard told him just to ride easy.  He had a low geared mt. bike and could easily scale up Kennon road. It was a hearbreaker!!

Nobody could help him budge a millimeter from his decision.

I guess everybody feels the same at this stage:  hungry, dehydrated, butt sore;  your hand and your feet feel numb.  Your thigh muscles are in knots ready to go into cramps.  You must have climbed 40 hills and incline and more are to come.

I actually dismounted at the concrete road.  My legs gave up and when I put on the cleats back, I could not turn the wheel.

At the switchback at Lions Head, I also dismounted relaxed my legs a bit and pedalled on.

Before the view deck, there were two turns:  one to the left and the final right hand bend which looked like heartbreaker.


But when you reach the Kennon view deck, you feel elated that you conquered Baguio again.  Nothing could beat that.

Well the heartbreaker for me is that:   my gear did not go down to the last biggest gear # 25.  I failed to adjust it right that is why the climb was a little bit stiff.  But I did it.  I got there on my own power, at 6l, 280 km distance and at Kennon rd, the steepest gateway to Baguio


Our old photo at Kennon road (our camera batt failed at this point)



No comments: