Sunday, March 11, 2018

Getting older but getting stronger and faster

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
March 11, 2018

I pledged that in 2018 I will try to be fitter and stronger, resisting the time and aging.  In 3 months time, I will be 67.   (Thats 10 years biking all ready which started as a cure for arthritis and high uric acid high cholesterol and blood sugar leve)

To do this, says experts:

1.  Once a week long ride (say 100 km)

2.  Occasional short rides with sprints, or race like day;

3. Stay in contact with strong riders;  do not be left behind;  chase if left behind.  (Turo n rin si Joel J Talap)

4. If you are climbing hills do interval at final 30% of the climb.   Hard fast effort  (Turo din ni Joel)

What have I done:

1.  To train for Vigan I did an average of 200 km a week:  two short rides of 100 km - Morong, Pililla, or Antipolo.  And 1 long ride: Jalajala or Bugarin.  In the short ride I sprint usually at Morong Cardona, at Calumpang. I do interval going up Callahan or Mambog, Pantok.

2.  In the Vigan ride I rode ahead of others for 50 km from Urdaneta to Agoo.  At Vigan, I chased and even went ahead of some leaders.

3.  In the ride today:

    1. I chased one rider na orange at black and passed him at Cardona Church

    2. I sprinted the final 100 meters of Mambog hill.    I led some of fellow kapadyak mula pa Looc (sprint pa rin) up to Callahan;  somebody overtook me but I chased and passed him at Cardona to Morong straight;

   3.  I was able to catch up with an idol strong rider at Morong, despite the  fact that I went to Sacred Heart after I peeled off from him in Tayuman

  4. On the way home at Pantok, a group of wealthy riders:  naka Willier at Pinarello overtook me counterflowed at  in  heavy traffic but I stayed close and even led them from Bilibiran to Pag asa...Thanks for allowing me to boast

I am happy with today's ride.  Yesterday, I led a fellow kapadyak who for the  first time again in a month rode up Antipolo.  (I have rode up Antipolo during the last 30 days for 4x all ready) At Sumulong Highway, I came across a group with Dogma and other expensive bikes.  They were away and ahead as they rode over Bankers Village in Sumulong.  Right after Assumption we overtook them...

No comments: