Friday, December 29, 2017

Solving missing shifts problem of Campy at my Fuji bike

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
December 29, 2017

I rode today up to Morong to fulfill my mileage requirements for the Vigan ride  I had 50 last Wednesday, and today 40 km. I rode on the Fuji Carbon

I was trying to ape Alberto Contador who boasted of standing up going uphill (on slight or medium hills) at 53 x 17- 19.  However, as I used the 6th gear (the 19 teeth) it jumped.   I tried to adjust the cable tension from the front adjuster, to the barrel adjuster, then the screw adjuster.  But the bad shift kept on.

I avoided the 19t and used 21 or 17t to experiment the standing up when climbing the hills (instead of 34 x 25) which was slower and lazier way to climb.  Surely such a practice makes one stronger and faster

So I peered at the gears and I suspected a broken 19t gear. (Whew where will I find a 19t spare Campy cog?) What is saw surprised me:  there is an uneven space between 17t and 19t.   So I removed the cogs from the free wheel.  The trouble was with the spacer.   The first two spacers with the groove was between the 25 23 set with 21 19, and  17.   I placed the flat spacers which caused uneven spacing.  When I rearranged the  spacers and the cogs looked of even spacing, I tightened the nut and tried to shift  It was perfect.

Without this observation and analysis, this problem would persist and the mechanic could have fooled me and recommended something expensive.

No comments: