Tuesday, May 1, 2018

What really is BB 30? The mechanic and the bike trader were surprised

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
May 1, 2018


                                               The  circlip and the bearing

Image result for BB30 bike shell
                               The circlip being fitted with a special plier into the BB30 shell groove
                                The bearing at the top right pics will rest/be stopped by the circlip




A bike trader and I had an agreement to buy and sell an S works bike frame today, provided:   it had a BB 30 shell ready for installation of SRAM BB 30 Red Crank (which was very light at less than 600 grams).  When I arrived at the appointed time and place the  frameset had a BB30 adapter for a Shimano Ultegra spindle. It did not have a BB30,  for SRAM and so we thought.

I brought out the SRAM crankset spindle and trying to insert this into the adapter  it wont, nor trying to find out if the spindle would protrude out of the adopter.  It wont.

I called up Bikezilla and said they dont have any adapter.   They will have one in a month's time. The trader was blaming me for not agreeing to let him provide/order the BB 30.   And so I requested that the BB30 adapter be removed so that he can have ready for the next order. I paid the DP as agreed upon, and I requested that the BB adapter be removed (It was done with a drift)

As the mechanic was readying the bike, I noticed that the  shell had the familiar groove for the circlip (where the 30 mm ID bearing would set flush.  And Eureka, I said the BB 30 bearing and circlip I had were the BB 30 parts.   The mechanic and the trader did not know. We do not have to buy nor wait for the BB 30 because it was right here.  They had no idea.  I had no idea.  Iyon pala BB 30.  Hahaha

Now the mechanic the trader, and I increased in the  technical knowledge about the actual BB30. Now we know


The SRAM red BB30 crankset finally found the  home. Am I glad nobody bought it after a 3 months  post at a famous social media site.


                                               Light at less than 600 grams (the  BB 30 especially)


                                             30 mm outside diameter, 30 mm ID ng bearing -
                                                   kaya nga BB30 eh. 41 mm ang OD ng bearing



                              The gray and black graphics of the SRAM matched the same color of
                                                           S works frameset


                                                  I am so glad no one bought you


                                                            Ito mismo ang BB 30 parts!!!

No comments: