Monday, March 23, 2015

Cleaning the bike after riding through rains and the flood

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines | March 23, 2015

I spent much of the afternoon cleaning and  greasing the bike I used (a SARS frame with Ultegra groupset and FSA crank) It  had grime all over, the front derailleur wont work again because of the sand clogging the moving parts, there was sloshing of water inside the BB, and the grime on the cogs, on the front chain ring, and the pulley was too much.





So I had to work on the front derailleur, rear derailleur, the cogs and the bottom bracket.  No wonder there was creaking sound as I ascended Greenwoods. There was a lot of water inside the bike housing for the BB, and the BB itself was full of sand and grime...The sand inside the BB could have caused wearing on the clearance of the shaft, and lead into play and further malfunction.

 I left the bike without testing yet to resume work at the office, I used two rags, and maybe 1/4 of WD 40 cleaning  everything.

Had I not done the cleaning, by next week, the cranks would not work because of the rust.   One must know how to clean, disassemble and clean his bike.  Otherwise, it is a bike gone to rust....

No comments: