Friday, July 20, 2018

Easy to do improvement of FTP

Wheels of Happiness

Rizal Philippines
July 20, 2018


Image result for ftp meaning cycling

What is FTP in cycling? How do you improve it?
Ano ba FTP?  Functional Threshold Power. It is a power you can sustain near your redline for one hour (hovering between aerobic and anaeorobic effort)  This can be done using:   power meter, heart rate monitor
And bikers body weight measured in kgs.  So an FTP would be watts/kg.  But power meter would set you back by how much P30K

A GCN video has 3 methods of improving FTP (even without power meter)

1.  40/20 seconds routine -  ride hard for 40 seconds and recover for 20 seconds.  Do say 5 reps

2.  One minute all out. ride as hard as you can for one minute.   Recover for 5 minutes, Do say 5 reps.

3.  Five minutes sustained efforts.  Recover for 2 minutes. Do five reps.

I tried to do all of them in my ride to Morong out and back.  And flat tired ako in the afternoon.  Had to sleep for 2 hours.   I hope in a months time I will improve my FTP especially if my new Bora wheelset arrives....

Maaasahan na legs at lungs ko sa rat2 even when I am 67. Let us see

No comments: