Sunday, June 2, 2024

Not all repair jobs are perfect - you have to redo this and you must be patient

Wheels of Happiness

We have experienced that even your best shops and mechanics foul up in the jobs you ordered.  There could be many causes:   wrong part, wrong diagnosis, the parts were reinstalled properly, too tight or too loose tightening.  A part was missed.

You must be patient and humble enough to admit the mistake was made and you have to redo the job.

This happened in my recent attempt to regrease the bearings of the headset.  I am on my third back job.

The goal at the start was to regrease the headset bearings and make it smoother.  I soaked the cage, and the individual bearings.   Cleaned each and every bearing.

However actual use of the bike showed the steering to be binding and abnormal.   I found out one ring at the bottom was missed out    The steering again was not 100%

So a washer was missed at the top bearing, and another one at the bottom.    So I added the missing part, and the binding disappeared.  However, I have not tried yet on actual ride.   

Hmmm that is what you call experience.   And maturity.  Surely, this will not happen again.  

No comments: