Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Bike repair and improvements are great teacher - and exercise for the brain and hands

Wheels of Happiness

Since this post was not able to bike today, I made the following improvements on my Ti MTB

1. Crank bolt pre load.  Adjusted the preload as advised by GCN.   I loosened the pinch bolt, hand tighteend the crank bolt, and then tightened the pinch bolt.   The crank spun more freely.

2. Cmpression ring. The headset kept on getting loose.  It must be the compression nring that was left out.   So I reinstalled the compression ring.  Hopefully the problem is solved.

3.  Second life to headset bearing.  This post spent P500.00 for headset replacement.  But all that were replaced were two berarings:  the 55 and 44 mm od bearing.   And so I reviewed the parts that were salvaged and they were shells of two bearing.  There was the plastic band that encased the braring for the bottom and two other shells for the top.    The top bearing shell lacked three bearings.  And the top bearing lacked about 20 - 24.  It was good that there were spare 1/8" bearing (left over for the hub repair I bought from Sising.   Sure enough, I was able to reassemble the two top and bottom berarings.   That should save me about P500.00 next time

Bike repair really teach you a lot -  how to repair, improvise and think

No comments: