Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Regreasing, rebearing head set bearings resulting in better bike handling

Wheels of Happiness

I have not serviced the bearings of headset of MTB.  Merely cleaned them and placed grease underneath the seals   Not knowing how to disassemble I dared not.

After reading a lot, I dared disassemble the bearings of the MTB.  They are PO3   41 mm, and P16  52 mm.  I had to tap out the bearings with a screwdriver.  The 51mm scattered and they were my difficulties later. I could not get it back properly.

I followed the directed processes:  I soaked the bearings with the plastic guard in detergents to remove the sediments.  For the bottom bearing, I had to replace  about 10 of them (from Sising inventory) because they fell off as I was returning them.

What a difference this PMS did to the bike.  The steering was lighter and the bike handled better   

Only servicing of the suspension cartridge and  truing are the unlearned skills remaining.   

I could probably run my own workshop. soon and give some mechanics a run for their money.  

No comments: